Monday, January 21, 2013

Review: 'Til the World Ends by Julie Kagawa, Ann Aguirre, and Karen Duvall

 

Title: 'Til the World Ends
Authors: Julie Kagawa, Ann Aguirre, and Karen Duvall
Publisher: Harlequin
Expected Publication: January 29, 2013
Purchase:  Amazon Barnes & Noble
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

Dawn of Eden by Julie Kagawa

Before The Immortal Rules, there was the Red Lung, a relentless virus determined to take out all in its path. For Kylie, the miracle of her survival is also her burden—as a doctor at one of the clinics for the infected, she is forced to witness endless suffering. What’s worse, strange things are happening to the remains of the dead, and by the time she befriends Ben Archer, she’s beginning to wonder if a global pandemic is the least of her problems...

Thistle & Thorne by Ann Aguirre

After a catastrophic spill turns the country into a vast chemical wasteland, those who could afford it retreated to fortresses, self-contained communities run by powerful corporations. But for Mari Thistle, life on the outside—in the Red Zone—is a constant struggle. To protect her family, Mari teams up with the mysterious Thorne Goodman. Together, they’ll face an evil plot in both the underworld of the Red Zone and the society inside the fortresses that could destroy those on the outside... for good.

Sun Storm by Karen Duvall

Sarah Daggot has been chasing storms since she was a child. But after the biggest solar flares in history nearly destroy the planet, she becomes a Kinetic, endowed by her exposure to extreme radiation with the power to sense coming storms—in the cosmos and beyond. And she’s not the only one. Sarah believes the Kinetics are destined to join forces and halt the final onslaught of the sun. She’ll vow to keep trying to convince the one missing link in their chain of defense, the enigmatic Ian Matthews, up until the world ends.


Photobucket 


postdivider2

’Til the World Ends is a wonderful anthology featuring three fabulous, talented authors.

Dawn of Eden by Julie Kagawa:

I LOVED Dawn of Eden. This prequel to The Immortal Rules was fascinating, and Julie Kagawa drew me in as only Julie Kagawa can. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting this generation of the Archer family. Ben was so lovely and Kylie was a stunning combination of grace and fierceness. Samson angered me, but I believe his role in the story contained a very poignant lesson about forgiveness. I was not expecting such a detailed love scene, but my… oh my… well that was… erm… why is it SO hot in here? Reading this prequel and the appearance of a certain someone that I was very intrigued by in book one made me want to pick up my copy of The Immortal Rules and dive right back in... which is exactly what I did.

Note: Dawn of Eden is not a YA story -- definitely more new adult due to a steamy and detailed scene.

Thistle & Thorne by Ann Aguirre:

Oh, wow. At the start of this short story, I felt as though I was scrambling to keep up and trying to figure out what was going on. But I caught on quickly and ended up loving this fast-paced read. A strong female lead and an amazing "don’t-label-him-a-hero" male lead character make an unforgettable pair in Ann Aguirre’s Thistle & Thorne novella. I grow tired of the pretty boys in some novels and of being told why they are soooo handsome and swoon-worthy instead of being shown. I love that in our introduction to Thorne, he is quickly described as not handsome, large, and imposing. Add to that a silvery scar from eye to mouth and the fact that he’s risking everything for the greater good of the world, and I’m all-a-flutter all the way to my tippy-toes. THIS is a beautiful man, and he easily makes my list of desirable fictional beaus. The only problem I had was that this story came to an end. I could have continued reading about Thorne and Thistle for days. Ann Aguirre never disappoints me, and this is one of my favorites.

Sun Storm by Karen Duvall:

Sun Storm was my first foray into the world of storm chasers and Kinetics, and I definitely don’t want it to be my last. This was so different from my usual reads and absolutely engrossing. I didn’t expect to feel quite as compelled by this story as the previous two since there wouldn’t be any parallel storylines or characters that I was already invested in, but Karen Duvall managed to give me two more characters to fall for with Sarah and Ian. I like that this story had more of an ending… a closure, and I look forward to reading more of Ms. Duvall’s work.

If you are a fan of short stories and the post-apocalyptic world, then definitely add ’Til the World Ends to your must-read list.


I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.


chelesiggy

11 comments:

  1. This was a great book, I loved all three tales and was in dystopian heaven..i may die while waiting for the next book in the Immortal Rules series! Awesome review cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *gasp* Well, hello, fellow Aguirre fan! I'm so glad you enjoyed Thistle & Thorne. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I can't wait to meet this imperfect hero.
    I didn't really like Immortal Rules as much as most people, but I'm still eager to read this short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sad I didn't get a copy. I love all three of these authors as well as good dystopian stories, I know I will enjoy it. I especially want to read the Ann Aguirre story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review! I have been debating whether I want to read this or not. I wasn't a huge fan of The Immortal Rules so I'm still not sure whether I'll read it. Glad to see you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of these authors or these stories, but your review makes me intrigued! I love post-apocalyptic so this is great :) Great review, m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this sounds like a fun anthology. I haven't read anything by any of these authors- but your review has made me curious. :)
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only read Dawn of Eden, because I really didn't feel like reading the other ones. But yeah, I was really surprised at the sex. I had been telling my goddaughter that there was a prequel for the Immortal Rules coming out, and she was really excited. Haha- there's no way I'm getting it for her now so her mom can get pissed at me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I leery of anthologies, but I really think that this I would like. Great reviews.


    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was soo excited when I logged onto goodreads yesterday and saw that you reviewed this. I did get it from NetGalley like you told me too. maybe I will start it tonight.

    um, did you say steamy scenes? I'm very intrigued.

    as for the thistle and thorn one, yeah.. fuck pretty boys. I'm getting real sick of that too,

    and i'm really intersted in this sun storm one. Yay storm chasers! did you ever watch that show? they were all tools. it's canceled, but I like weather, I like storms and all that science stuff that goes with it.

    and hell yes to different. Sick of the same ole shit. :0)

    I swear a lot in my comments don't I? lol. sorry. :o) Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome reviews. I recently bought The Immortal Rules, but haven't read it yet. I think I will this prequel and read it first. Thistle and Sun Storm sound great to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely reviews :) they all sound like wonderful reads! I haven't heard of the other authors before, just Julie. I so still need to read her books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.