Saturday, November 24, 2012

November Novellas (#5): Necromancer: A Novella by Lish McBride

novemberbutton2
 


Title: Necromancer: A Novella
Series: Necromancer #0.5
Author:  Lish McBride
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Published: February 1, 2011
Purchase:  Amazon Barnes & Noble

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ 1/2

DEATH AND WAFFLES: A Short Story by Lish Bride, author of HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER

Matt’s childhood friend, Ashley, has been stopping by a lot lately. That might seem pretty normal, but Ashley died years ago and now she’s Death.

And tonight she wants waffles and fries.

INCLUDES AN EXCERPT OF HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER…

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?



Photobucket

   
postdivider2
 
This was such an enjoyable read! “Death and Waffles” is the short story that author Lish McBride wrote for a homework project while in college. Because she enjoyed these characters so much, they were later included in her Necromancer series.

I really like the premise of these stories. Ash and Matt were both very intriguing and their friendship was sweet, albeit slightly sad. Nothing breaks my heart more than an unfortunate home life and absentee parents:

“My dad had stopped taking interest in me as soon as he figured out I wouldn’t be following in his footsteps in pretty much any way. Not in his love for baseball, not in his vocation as an architect, and certainly not in his frequent skirt-chasing. I guess my ability to see women as people and not disposable sort of killed any last chance we had. Pity.”

Some novellas or shorts satisfy a certain curiosity or answer questions the reader may have. This particular novella is a prequel and served to fuel my curiosity and give me many, many questions that I can’t wait to find answers for.

“I went out to join her, gently closing my bedroom door, safe in the knowledge that Death’s Harbinger would wait for me no matter what. As long as I could bribe her with waffles, anyway. It’s amazing what makes some people happy.”

I’ve heard good things about the Necromancer series, but the excerpt included in this novella has me adding this series to my Christmas wish list. Sam is adorable and, at the moment, just as in the dark as I am about what he is. Reading about his mundane job in the fast food industry was pretty hilarious and just made him all the more endearing:

“Working here just proved that the only things separating me from a monkey was pants. And no prehensile tail, which I wish I had. Oh, the applications.”

I MUST know more about Sam and can’t wait for the characters from “Death and Waffles” to tie in with the characters in the excerpt.

If you’re like me and haven’t read the Necromancer series, this is a great place to start. This novella is currently FREE on both Amazon and B&N.

If you’re already a fan of the series, then you’ll definitely enjoy the side of Ashley that “Death and Waffles” presents. Did I mention that it’s FREEEEE?

I've been really good way less naughty this year, so hopefully Santa will bring me the next books in this series for Christmas ;)

 
 
Hold Me Closer, NecromancerNecromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)


 
chelesiggy

8 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about this series. I really enjoy digging into a good novella. I'm glad you enjoyed this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.o the full length books were already on my hot wishlist..and now after reading your review i will snag this novella as well..cannot wait for gift cards at Christmas..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Less naughty... *snort*

    Yeah, I've wanted to read the first one since it came out. You know how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so many great things about this supposedly entertaining series, and I'm glad your expectations were met when reading this short story, Michele! "Death and Waffles" - heehee, I like that. :) Incredible review, love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been curious about this series. Thanks for letting me know about the novella and that it is a great place to start. :)
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I haven't heard of this, but it sure sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE book one. made me waffle! (fitting for this novella!!) stand down, other santas!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehe sounds like a fun book. I just downloaded it from amazon and B&N for free thanks for telling us :) I hope Santa brings the rest to you for christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.