Friday, November 23, 2012

November Novellas (#4): Snow White Blood Red by Cameron Jace

novemberbutton2
 


Title: Snow White Blood Red
Series: The Grimm Diaries Prequels #1
Author: Cameron Jace
Published: May 29, 2012

Purchase:  Amazon 

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ 


 What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?


Book description of Snow White Blood Red: A Grimm Diaries Prequel as told by the Snow White Queen:


I have always wondered why you never asked about my name. Was I so superficial to you? So stereotypical and mundane? Why did you treat me as if I were just the monster of the week? You know what I think? You never had the time to really hate me. You wanted to hate me, long before you even met me. You wanted to scrape my existence and avenge your childhood princess by laying all blame on me. What if they didn’t call me the Evil Queen, what if I told you the real story from my point of view instead of hers, would you ever think of me as an angel? Could I ever make you care? I know that deep inside of you, you adore me,but you’re just scared, afraid to admit how much you love the Snow White Queen.

This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.



Photobucket

   
postdivider2
 
The Grimm Diaries Prequels by author Cameron Jace are several novellas serving as teasers for his series The Grimm Diaries. In an interesting twist, it is said that the Brothers Grimm altered the true fairy tales and concealed the fact that these characters hide among us. There are seven diaries, each told by a famous character and to be read before reading the first full length diary, Snow White Sorrow. These diaries come with a warning that they don’t always hold the truth and that some characters might be manipulating the facts in their favor. I love this concept! Trying to figure out whether or not I’m being lied to while reading the story is genius and so much fun. The first diary I started with was Snow White Blood Red, as told by the Snow White Queen, wrongfully known as the Evil Queen. 

This story started out quite well for me. The Evil Queen address one of the Brothers Grimm and proceeds to defend herself and reveal the “truth” about the fairytale princess we all know as Snow White.

“Night after night, and year after year, parents fed their children false bedtime stories, until your lies grew into inescapable memories. Your happy ever after lies, Wilhelm, shaped the world.”

The queen continues with an intriguing rant and ponders why she was made out to be the evil character in the story:

“You know what I think? I think that the world never got the time to hate me. It just wanted to hate me long before it met me. If I tell those who detest me about the true nature of their little princess, would they ever care about me half as much as they care about her?”

I loved where this was headed, but then it turned a bad corner… a really bad corner. This prequel became so laden with typographical and grammatical errors that I had trouble focusing on the story. It was very frustrating, and when what started out as a new and distinctive idea turned into an already overdone storyline, I lost interest fast.

In all fairness to the author, he has a note on Goodreads that, as of 9/12, this novella has been edited, and grammatical errors only exist in previous copies. I only wish I had known that before I began reading my copy that I had, unfortunately, downloaded prior to that date. I am happy that future readers won’t struggle with the errors that I found so annoying. I would be tempted to read a corrected copy, if not for the fact that I found the end of the story to be so displeasing.

I’m still curious about some of the other diaries, and I’ll just have to decide how strong that curiosity is before I continue on with the other prequels or begin Snow White Sorrow. I do commend Mr. Jace on a fascinating theory and hope the other books offer a fresh and unique spin on these classic stories. The covers are beautiful, and here are the other prequels in all their glory along with book one, Snow White Sorrow:

Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder  (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #2)Beauty Never Dies (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #3)Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4)Mary Mary Quite Contrary (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #5)Blood Apples (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #6)



Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries, #1)
 
chelesiggy

10 comments:

  1. That's too bad. The idea of these are really cool, though. And I'd like to eventually read Snow White Sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may still read it. Just when I decide not to, I look at those gorgeous covers and get sucked in again. ;)

      Delete
  2. I am surprised you were not sent an updated version. The premises sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I probably could have requested it, but I didn't know about it until I'd already finished the book. :(

      Delete
  3. Oh I can only just about tolerate grammatical or typographical errors, but if it gets to the point where you notice every one, then I completely understand how that takes enjoyment away from the story. Beautiful review though, Michele! It sounds interesting but I'm not sure if it's something I'll rush to get. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Sam! Hopefully, the newly-edited edition will be a much better book for future readers.:D

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing about this series, and I really love your insightful review of one here. I’m with you, these covers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful review. ugh I hate ti when errors get in the way of the book. I downloaded this for free while ago and thought it sounded interesting. I'm a sucker for fairytales! Your review was even making it sound better but I also trust your judgment so I'm unsure about it when it comes to where it went wrong. The covers are also eye catching, that is what caught my attention originally.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.