Friday, November 30, 2012

November Novellas (#13): Bah, Humbug! by Heather Horrocks

novemberbutton2
 


Title: Bah, Humbug!
Author:  Heather Horrocks
Publisher: Word Garden Press
Published: September 9, 2011
Purchase:  Amazon Barnes & Noble

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

Lexi Anderson is an up-and-coming, Martha Stewart-type TV hostess whose two kids love the Jared Strong adventure novels, which happen to be written by their new neighbor, Kyle Miller. For the first time in his writing career, Kyle has writer’s block--until he sees the snowman on his lawn and realizes it’s the perfect solution to his plot problem. He digs in and discovers two things: one, his villain’s weapon will fit inside a snowman's body, and two, this particular snowman was supposed to be the backdrop for Lexi’s next show. 

From this improbable beginning comes friendship, but can there be a happy ending for a woman who is afraid to get close again and a man who has shadows from his childhood?  Families join together and hearts are healed as this couple goes walking in a winter wonderland.

Photobucket


postdivider2


It’s the last day of November, which means my last post for November Novellas. I had so much fun reading these short stories! Since tomorrow kicks off the busiest season of the year, I thought it would be very fitting if the last Novella was Bah, Humbug! by Heather Horrocks. This title was perfect for me since I can be a bit of a scrooge this time of year - Christmas just isn’t my favorite holiday. Because of that, I was really able to connect with one of the main characters -- Kyle -- in this romantic holiday tale. 
 
This book is certainly not my typical read. I could very much see this as one of those Holiday Hallmark movies that my mother just lives for and forces me to watch from time to time. I groan and complain, but then end up loving it and crying like the big weenie baby that I really am. 


When Lexi Anderson, decorator extraordinaire, moves into her new neighborhood with her kids Trista and Steven, she knows she’s finally where she wants to be in life. Known as the next Martha Stewart, Lexi is the star of her very own national television show, she just found out their most favorite author in the world lives somewhere in their new town, and she’s taking the kids to meet Mr. Kyle Miller himself at a book signing in a few days! Her little family couldn’t be happier. So, when she catches a man destroying the snowman she spent hours making in preparation for a film crew and house full of people - she is mortified and shocked. Handsome he may be, but he's clearly off his rocker!


Kyle Miller is the author of the best-seller Jared Strong mystery series. His books are widely popular and he has a deadline to meet in January. The problem is… for the first time in his writing career, Kyle has serious writer’s block. He can’t, for the life of him, figure out what to do with his latest storyline. Then, he spots a snowman outside his window, and Eureka! Of course! The killer could hide the weapon inside the snowman! But first, he needs to see if his idea is plausible. After making a mess of the snowman’s torso, he’s excited to realize that the perfect hiding place is in the snowman’s head! Which is, of course when his new beautiful, but incredibly angry, neighbor catches him vandalizing her snowman... and hilarity ensues!

This story was so cute and sweet it nearly gave me a toothache. I did shed a few tears at one point in the story, and darn it if this little book doesn’t have me dragging out my Christmas decorations. Grrrrrrr.

The best part is I’m totally giving a copy of this book to my mom. Every time she asks about a book I’m reading, she wants to know if it is one she would enjoy. My love for paranormal/monster books always has me saying “no way,” but I’m so happy I finally came across a book that allows me to say “YES!” This is one for the whole family! Sweet, clean (no mature content), and Mom is going to love it. The biggest shocker?  I loved it, too.

There were a few typographical errors, but nothing that distracted me from the story. This book is currently free on Amazon and only $.99 at B&N! I’m super excited to check out more of this author’s work so my mom and I can have our own little book club!

chelesiggy

13 comments:

  1. In really loved your Novella November. I gave you a shout out on the Sunday Post this week so watch for it. THis review made me laugh. Especially the part about youur oom forccing youu to wattch Haallmar moviies and yyou end up cryiing like a weeeni babby.. I knoww whaat yyou meann about Chrristmas it hhas gotteen to the point where are the greed disgustts me. Anywway this ssounds super ccute and I miight jusst read it this weekkend. Ihavee had two really nad rreads. One wwon't even goo on the bloog and the oother well iit will show up. You know how I hate writting negativee reviews.nyway ssorry about the typos my ipad aand keyboard are nott liking your blog today. Hugss !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Heidi! Thank you SO much - that just makes my day! Hahaha! It's so true - Mom and I have VERY different tastes when it comes to movies and books. This book is perfect for her and I really loved it - hope you will, also! Sorry about your reads - I hate having to write negative reviews :'(
      Thanks so much for stopping by! *Hugs*

      Delete
  2. It's free? I must grab it while I can! This sounds like a great, quick read. Another brilliant review, Michele. I've enjoyed your novella posts! Maybe we'll have another November Novella month next year? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Sam, and it's such a sweet read! Thank you so much - I will definitely be doing this again next year - it was so much fun! ;)

      Delete
  3. This sounds fun and I loved your novella November :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Kimba! This is such a fun little holiday romance :D

      Delete
  4. Hah! This isn't my typical read either, but I'm a Christmas person through and through so it does sound great for this time of year. :)

    On a side note, I just finished reading Horde and let me tell you, the last part of Deuce and Fade's journey is even better than the first two. It is EPIC. I am absolutely sure that you're going to love it. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeeep! I can hardly wait! I had no doubt that I would, but I'm even more excited to know you loved it!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a really fun book. Thanks for sharing it. Love your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! It's so cute - I think you'll like it :D

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the kind review! Your review was hilarious. I loved that you were pulling out decorations (Grrrr!)
    Heather Horrocks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you SO much! What a wonderful story you wrote - I can't wait to read more of your work... even if you did get me in the Christmas spirit ;)

      Delete
  7. aww great review. This sounds like a fun book. I'm so glad you posted it was free on amazon! I just downloaded it for my kindle so thanks love! I think November Novellas was a great idea :) I love christmas but haven't been feeling it this year! hopefully next year will be a lot better :) I hope your mom enjoys it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.