Wednesday, November 28, 2012

November Novellas (#11): My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent

novemberbutton2
 


Title: My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers #0.5)
Author:  Rachel Vincent
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: July 1, 2009
Purchase:  Amazon Barnes & Noble

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2


It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.



She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with
some
special abilities....


Photobucket



postdivider2
 
My Soul to Lose has certainly been the most intriguing novella I’ve read so far. Kaylee Cavanaugh is shopping at the mall with her best friend Emma when it begins. That familiar ache in her throat. The claustrophobia sets in, and she begins to feel as if she is being strangled. She doesn’t have much time before the screaming starts and BFF Emma will know that it’s much more than ‘panic attacks’ that Kaylee suffers from. Once Kaylee pinpoints what’s causing the attack, the girls are able to move to another part of the mall and begin to enjoy their homecoming dance shopping spree… until they cut through a particular store and it starts again. This time, there’s nowhere to run; and Kaylee’s piercing scream and the shadows that only she can see land her straight in the psych ward…Lakeside Mental Health Center, to be more specific, complete with wrists and ankle restraints.

There are several interesting characters at Lakeside, but none as captivating as Kaylee herself. No one can call what she has a gift; it’s definitely more of a curse. But what is it?


That’s the one thing you don’t find out at the end of this novella. It stops abruptly, only offering a sneak peek into My Soul to Take. Well, there went my plan to not buy any books until after Christmas.
 
I’ve heard many great things about the Soul Screamers series and about Rachel Vincent herself -- I thoroughly enjoyed Blood Bound --so, as far as the Soul Screamers series goes, you don’t need to convince me. My Soul to Lose did that just fine. If you haven’t read this series yet, you can pick up this absorbing novella at Amazon or B&N, but the best buy is the 3-in-1 Ecopy that includes this novella, My Soul to LoseMy Soul to Take (book one); and My Soul to Save (book two). This three-story edition is actually cheaper than buying the first Ebook by itself at both retailers (though Amazon has the better price no matter which volume you choose).





chelesiggy

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by this author and this would be the perfect way to do it..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Especially that three-in-one book above. Hope you love it! :D

      Delete
  2. This is me glaring at you. lol. At least now I know to buy the combo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great covers! The best novella you have read so far- that is saying a lot! Look forward to checking this one out.:)
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Soul Screamers series is such an entertaining, sexy, thoroughly enjoyable bunch of books! I flew through most of them in a couple days each. :) I'm really thrilled that you enjoyed this novella, Michele! Fabulous review, dear. :)

    P.S. Aren't those covers the most gorgeous creations in the world?? *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved this novella. I still have to continue with the series. I just haven't had the time. I love it though. I'm reading her shifter books right now. They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this sounds so intriguing. You had me a psych ward...thas some dark stuff! also, thanks for the great buying tips! the end of year budget is trickytricky. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's so great about this novella is, the story circles back around later on down the round. Little details that seem trivial are a big deal. I love this series.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I am the only one who has not read this series yet, and I know it is awesome. Great review - it has me wanting to start yet another series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. eeeep it sounds very intriguing! I have volume 1! they sound sooooo good. I really look forward to reading them like I have said before. In the past I haven't been a big fan of novellas or short stories but I like them a lot more now especially when they go along with a series I like. The one thing I still don't like is that they are always too short :-P I get all into it and then it is over and I have to wait lol. I'm such a baby.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.