Thursday, October 25, 2012

Katertot's Review of The Adventure of the Norwood Builder by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

 


Title: The Adventure of the Norwood Builder
Author:  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Source: Of People Literature, Fourth Edition

Amazon  Barnes & Noble

Katertot's Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★


Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are visited by "the unhappy John Hector McFarlane", a young lawyer from Blackheath who has been accused of murdering one of his clients, a builder called Jonas Oldacre.


In spite of the fact that the evidence against young Mr. McFarlane is quite convincing, Sherlock Holmes, after questioning a number of people associated with McFarlane and Jonas Oldacre, uses his legendary investigative powers, along with a ruse to reveal the real culprit and clear the young lawyer.
 


kkreviewpost-14

 
In this Sherlock Holmes adventure, Mr. Holmes and his assistant Watson are investigating the murder of Jonas Oldacre, a very wealthy architect in Norwood. Lestrade and Higgins, two other detectives in Sherlock Holmes's town, have found John McFarlane guilty of this murder. John McFarlane is the person who Jonas Oldacre left everything to in his will (which no one really understands, because McFarlane and Oldacre had never met). McFarlane begs Holmes to help him and insists he did not murder Jonas Oldacre. He seems innocent… but a young man who learns he is going to invest all the riches of a wealthy man when he dies would certainly want to receive these riches as soon as possible… right?

I discovered Sherlock Holmes last year when I was in the seventh grade and I am a little obsessed. I love reading the adventures of Sherlock and Watson! These stories never disappoint. The Adventure of the Norwood Builder was a short but entertaining story. This was an excellent installment in the Sherlock Holmes collection, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The story was so well-written that I never expected the huge twist at the end. But when I thought about it, it really was “Elementary, dear Watson!” Readers who enjoy mysteries, suspense, and anything Sherlock Holmes would definitely love this story!
 
 
 
 
This was a story from one of my school books, Of People Literature (Fourth Edition).




katessignature

15 comments:

  1. That was such a great review. And how fun is it that you get to read Sherlock for school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Christy! Soooo much fun!! And guess what? We just read an Agatha Christie story - I so love these mysteries! Eeeep! <3

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this, Katertot! I agree with Christy. It's very cool that you get to read this for school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Sam! So cool! I love most of my subjects, but literature is definitely one of my favorites! ~ Katertot

      Delete
  3. You are just such a great reviewer! Well written and it made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Ms. Candi! YOU make ME smile! Thank you so much! <3 ~Katertot

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this Sherlock Holmes review, KK! I’ll have to get a list of your favorite SH's for my TBR! love you so much sweetiepie and super proud of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, Nyssa! Thank you soooo much, and I'll definitely work on a list for you ;)<3 <3 <3 ~Katertot

      Delete
  5. Fantastic review Katertot..I adore Sherlock Holmes and am so delighted you like him too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, thank you so much, Ms. Kimba! I'm so happy you love Sherlock, too! Sherlock fangirls for the win!! <3 ~Katertot

      Delete
  6. Lovely review Katertot! I read and loved the Sherlock Holmes series when I was younger, so I'm pleased that you did as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome, Ms. Leanne! Thank you so much! <3 ~Katertot

      Delete
  7. I haven't read a Sherlock Holmes story in ages. I think I need to read some this fall. Loved your review! I also think it is cool that you get to read it for school- and Agatha Christie, too! Such fun mysteries.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Jess! Aren't mysteries the best? I loved the Agatha Christie story! I can't wait to share my review. Have a Happy Halloween <3

      Delete
  8. great review katertot :) It sounds like a fun book. I have never read any sherlock holmes but I bet I would like it. Glad you got to read something you liked for school!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.