Monday, August 27, 2012

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan



Title:  Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1)
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Random House
Expected Publication:  September 11, 2012


Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository
 

My Rating: 

 Photobucket






Photobucket



Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?
 
postdivider2
 
I love the concept of this story: imaginary friends. Who didn’t have a make-believe companion at some point in our young lives? But what happens when you grow up and your imaginary best friend doesn’t fade away into childhood’s past? If you can’t hide from everyone that you are carrying on one side of an intelligent, albeit humorous, conversation… in your head? And even more incredible, what happens when you meet your fictitious other half… face to face?

Unique, refreshing, sassy, stimulating, exhilarating… these are just a few of the adjectives I would use to describe Unspoken. The witty and oh-so-clever banter between the lead character, Kami, and… well, everyone was fresh and so much fun to read about. Kami’s humor and snark were fantastic, and, while some may find Ash’s golden looks appealing, it was Jared who captured my attention and my heart from the very beginning. The boy breathes new life into the words “ruggedly handsome.” 


“'My body is a gift from God,' Jared said gravely.
'Except for my hips, which are clearly a gift from the devil.'" 

I was so drawn into Kami and Jared’s story that, at one point in the book (the elevator), I felt the characters’ pain so profoundly that I realized I had gasped out loud and was clutching my stomach. I LOVE when a book makes me feel what its characters are feeling. It takes a very talented author and a special kind of story to draw me in so much that I lose myself entirely and reality fades away. And that talent extends to creating a setting that is so easily seen in the reader’s eyes that you feel as though you are walking the streets of Sorry-in-the-Vale or glimpsing strange things in the Sorriest River. 

There were some great twists and turns in Unspoken, and, although the dreaded “I love you, but I can’t have you, come-to-me, don’t touch me” scenario was present, I found myself not even caring if I was getting whiplash from Jared’s moodiness and Kami’s battling emotions.

Even if Sarah Rees Brennan hadn’t convinced me with her excellent writing and fascinating story, the sudden and unexpected ending of Unspoken has me counting down the days until book two in The Lynburn Legacy releases.

Thank you to Random House and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

 

6 comments:

  1. Ha! I used that quote in my review, too! I love that Jared! (Not as much as MY Jerrod, but pretty damn close! :P) Great review, Chele! That wasn't the ending I was hoping for, but damn if it wasn't a great ending all the same! I can't wait for the second book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when a book makes you feel exactly what a character is feeling! This sounds like a fabulous read, thanks for putting it on my radar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I saw this on NG, but didn't really pay much attention to it. Maybe I should have. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started this and I love the concept but I am having a bitmofmtrouble engaging into the story, I think it is me...after reading your review I am anxious to move on get to the goods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh I am reading and reviewing this next week..lovely review you have me anxious to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hype and glowing reviews for this novel have been insanely amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on it. :) Stunning review, darling! I'm so thrilled you enjoyed this. Hopefully I jump on the bandwagon too, heh. ;)

    The cover is really fabulous as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.