Thursday, August 30, 2012

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Title:  Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author:  Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher:  Entangled Teen
Published:  May 8, 2012

AmazonB&NThe Book Depository

My Rating:
Photobucket







Photobucket


Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

postdivider2


Everywhere I’ve turned these past few months, I have seen mentions of and, at times, unabated, outright frenzies over this author and some guy named Daemon. So, when my dear friend Christie over at Christie's Book Reviews began sending me cryptic, excited texts about this book (and the guy in question), I knew I needed to pay attention. Christie, being the sweet, generous friend that she is, offered to loan me her copy of Obsidian... and I didn’t hesitate to say YES, PLEASE!

I enjoyed this story, but maybe for slightly different reasons than some. Sure, I was intrigued by Katy's new neighbors and eager to uncover their secrets, but one of my favorite things about the book is that Katy is a blogger. At first I thought, Hmmm.... if this is a ploy by the author to ensure blogger appreciation… well, that’s genius, yes, but will it be convincing? All it took was Katy posting her Waiting on Wednesday and me bouncing up and down (yep, actual bouncing!) to realize that the author knew what she was talking about!

“Since it was Wednesday, I’d typed up a quick ‘Waiting on Wednesday’ post for my blog featuring this YA book about a hot boy with a killer touch - can’t go wrong there - apologized for my extended absence, responded to comments, and stalked a few other blogs I loved. It was like coming home.”

Jennifer Armentrout really captured the excitement we readers/reviewers/bloggers experience when we receive a parcel containing books (our precious)!

“Once I got home, though, and saw several packages on my front porch, all the crap from the day disappeared. A few had smiley faces on them. Squealing, I grabbed the boxes. Books were inside - new release books that I’d preordered weeks ago."

And, of course, the roller coaster of emotions we bloggers go through:

“I hurried upstairs and powered up my laptop. I checked on the review I’d posted last night. No comments. People sucked. But I did gain five new followers. People rocked. I closed out the page before I started redesigning everything.”

******************************************************************************

“Eyes still on me, he tipped his desk forward even further. ‘Guess what?’
‘What?’
‘I checked out your blog.’
Oh. Dear. Baby. Jesus. How did he find it? Wait. More importantly was the fact that he had found it. Was my blog now Googleable? That was awesomesauce with an extra heaping of sauce.”


Daemon. Oh, Daemon. I am not going to be very popular with my next statements (translation: I am fearful of being flogged by a large crowd of fangirls), but bear with me. I love a bad boy… I mean really, really love a bad boy, but Dameon… well, I’m sorry, but Dameon is an ass-butt. I just can’t fall for a guy who is sooooo mean, and it bothered me that Katy was excited by their confrontations instead of slapping that smug look off his pretty face every single time he opened his mouth. But I confess, the guy can be pretty funny:

“My lips pressed into a hard line. ‘You’re such an ass. Has... anyone ever told you that?’
He flashed a genuinely amused smile. ‘Oh, Kitten, every single day of my blessed life.’”


When I expressed my lack of enthusiasm over Daemon, Christie was quick to assure me that there were reasons behind his douche-bagginess and for me to be patient with him. So, I was... and she was right (as usual). There is definitely more to our acerbic alien than what first meets the eye. What I savored most were the Daemon POV inclusions at the end of the book. Reading certain moments from the story from his perspective and hearing his thoughts, even as he was spewing some of those venomous words, definitely gave me pause.

“But no matter where I went, what I was running from would still be with me - Kat. She wasn’t just back in the house, in that bed. She was with me now, inside me. And there was no outrunning that.”

Well, now I have to read the next book in the series! I do love the uniqueness of the story. I’ve read about vampires, werewolves, sorcerers, zombies, trolls, and hellhounds… but this was my first alien story since E.T… and I liked it! I also admittedly would rather look at Daemon than E.T (although, E.T. does usually have Reese’s Pieces...). 

I am truly excited to read Shadows (Lux #0.5), Dawson and Bethany’s story, and, of course, Onyx, the second book in the Lux series - both of which Christie gave me for my birthday (see how much she rocks??)  I wonder how I will feel about Daemon after Onyx? I think it's going to be pretty fun finding out ;)

Onyx (Lux, #2) Shadows (Lux, #0.5)
 

Thank you, Christie, for loaning me your copy of Obsidian, for gifting me Shadows and Onyx, and for showing me what all the hullabaloo was about! Heart you tons!
 


chelesiggy

23 comments:

  1. LOVE your review, Michele! Wasn't the blogger thing so cool and hilarious to read? She captured it perfectly! Thing one especially rings true: "I hurried upstairs and powered up my laptop. I checked on the review I’d posted last night. No comments. People sucked. But I did gain five new followers. People rocked. I closed out the page before I started redesigning everything." I'm grinning like a fool here. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Thank you, Sam!! I LOVE that one. "I closed out the page before I started redesigning everything" - that is sooooo me! I laughed so hard when I read that! It's like she knows me! We'll be a pair of grinning fools ;)

      Delete
  2. I am definitely curious about this and the blogger perspective is one I can relate to and appreciate. Your review is great and I am glad to know I need to read the whole book to see why some of the characters act the way they act! Thanks!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! I definitely had a new perspective about our not-so-friendly neighborhood alien after reading the extras at the end. Hope you'll enjoy it, too!

      Delete
  3. Love this is a fantastic review! I'm so glad you loved it! I was totally flipping out excited when I was reading that she was a blogger in the book. I didn't know before I was reading it and I could totally relate to it. I thought it was totally awesome. First time I ever read a book with a blogger in it. eeeeep. You will totally love Daemon even more after Onyx. The DAemon POV totally help make you SWOON over him big time. I seriously CAN'T WAIT for you to read the rest of them. I want to read them again and probably will before I write my review since I was busy and didn't have a chance right after I read them. I say that is a good excuse to re-read the awesomeness. Ok Now I'm leaving you a HUGE comment because I'm all excited over your review and talking about obsidian. You picked some great quotes and there will be some more awesome ones n onyx you will love. I also love how funny Daemon is, when i was reading dialog between him and katy made me laugh out loud so bad. *reminder to self do not read in public or people look at you like you are crazy when you randomly start laughing like a crazy person. Ok I better stop now. I loved your review! Thanks for all the mentions eeep! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I LOVE your huge, gushy feelings for these books and for Daemon! I can't wait to continue the series! Thank you so much for sending them to me! Mwah! <3

      Delete
  4. Great review!
    I love that Katy is a blogger as well and JLA really does capture our enthusiasm well. I felt like I could relate to her book-loving-ness.
    As for Daemon being an ass-butt, well yea he is, but I PROMISE he is soo much better in Onyx. I don't know what it is about him, but I really love him; probably because he isn't the perfect typical nice guys. I love flaws.
    Anyhoo I'll stop because I can go on about this book forever, so once again- Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa! I love how enthusiastic you are about the series (and that certain ass-butt - LOL)! I hope to continue reading the books very soon. Thanks so much for stopping by! Happy reading :D

      Delete
  5. An ASSBUTT, Lovely? That is a pretty harsh name but I love it... sounds like something I would say... no actually I would call him a rat bastard. I read this last fall and really enjoyed it. I didn't fall head over heels over Daemon either, he is just meh.... I loved all the bloggy stuff though that was my favorite part and I love the alien theme... different. I need to read Onyx... Also must say, I am not a fan of the covers they look so KArdasian or something... ha ha hair looks like it got stuck in light socket, well that is okay I am sure you look lovely as always! Miss You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe - it's redundant, too, but I thought it was fitting, as was your name for Mr. Daemon! Awww, well thank you, Heidi - I am certainly trying to "rock" this big hair that probably needs its own zip code. Humidity is not a friend of the curly-haired girls. LOL! Miss you, too! Thanks so much for stopping by and enjoy that wonderful weather where you are! :D

      Delete
  6. Ha, that's cool. I had no idea about the blogger thing. I've wanted to read this for awhile. Great review, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christy! It was definitely one of my favorite aspects of the story! ;)

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you enjoyed Onyx. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another JLA addict is born..wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if I've reached "addict" stage yet, but we'll see what happens ;)

      Delete
  9. Great review, Michele! I felt the same way about Daemon in the first book, but he does get a lot better in Onyx, although Katy gets more annoying so we're back to square one.
    The blogging details were fun for me too, I kept laughing out loud at those parts.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Hahaha! Are they taking turns or something? Can't wait to read it! I hope there are more blog mentions!

      Thank you, Maja! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. Oh my. I hadn't read this, but I'm definitely going to very soon after this! The blogger quotes - it's like they're coming right outta my head! The author is a genius for adding that to the MC's personality. I already love that gal (the MC... well, the author too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha! I know!! I felt as though the author had been spying on me! She really made the book tons of fun for reviewers/bloggers! Hope you will enjoy it :D

      Delete
  11. I love everything about this review: from ass-butt to douche-bagginess (stealing it) to flogging fangirls, you had me WAFFLING. Love the insight and humor you bring to each review! Your blog is simply the best, Cheles!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy!!! I live to make others WAFFLE!! Hahaha! Thank you, darling girl! Love you!! xoxoxo

      Delete
  12. Oh my word, a book about a blogger and a bad boy!?!?!?! I think I have found my calling! As per usual, your review is totally kick-butt (in a good way) and I cannot wait to read this book now!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.