Saturday, August 18, 2012

Katertot's Review: Lost Girls by Ann Kelley



Title:  Lost Girls
Author: Ann Kelley
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: July 10, 2012


Amazon  |  Barnes&Noble

My Rating:

Photobucket



Photobucket


No parents. No rules. No way home.

Fourteen-year-old Bonnie MacDonald couldn't be more excited for a camping trip on an island off the coast of Thailand with her fellow Amelia Earhart Cadets-the daughters of the men and women stationed there during the Vietnam War. But when a strong current deposits the girls on what their boatman calls the "forbidden island," things take a turn for the worse: A powerful storm comes to destroy their campsite, the smallest of the junior cadets is found dead, and their boatman never returns. What once seemed like a vacation in paradise has become a battle against the elements.

Peppered with short, frantic entries from Bonnie's journal, Lost Girls is a page-turning, heart-pounding adventure story about a group of teen girls fighting for their lives.
kkreviewpost-14
Lost Girls by Ann Kelley was a heart-pounding book that I eagerly read within two days. Ms. Kelley wrote this story perfectly, which is difficult to do with an action or adventure story. She made the events of the story believable and didn’t go overboard with injuries or death. Lost Girls was an amazing book that I’ll be revisiting for sure!

The beauty of the book, in my opinion, is that it was set in May of 1974. I love a book set in the 70’s - or anything 70’s, really. This book was a total hit with me!

I was shocked - and intrigued - by the fact that the author didn’t wait a hot second before killing off a little girl in a gruesome way (vivid details were not given). I knew that, when that happened, I was in for quite a ride. And boy did Ms. Kelley take me on one! She fills the pages of her book with entries from the main character Bonnie MacDonald’s journal. Bonnie is a fourteen-year-old girl currently living in Thailand with her mother - her father is a soldier, so they are stationed there for the time being. When Bonnie and her Amelia Earhart Cadet group go off for three days to survive on an island in the middle of the sea, things turn bad in the blink of an eye. Horrible storms and winds, a dangerous ocean in which no one can sail (yet another reason to lose hope of ever being saved), and a forest filled with wild boars, tigers, snakes, and more. Can Bonnie pull together a plan and get everyone off the island alive?

The elements seem to be against Bonnie and her peers as they try to stay alive in the wilderness of a supposedly forbidden island. I found that it was easy to get lost in the story and feel as if I were one of the girls myself. This book was very emotional for me in some parts: when Bonnie met the monk, when Layla Campbell realized she needed to step up her game… when a beloved character died.

--- Bonnie MacDonald - Bonnie was one of my favorite characters in this book because, although she was fourteen, she kept her focus and was able to keep everyone alive for weeks, with help from her friends, but hardly any from their leader.

--- Layla Campbell - Mrs. Campbell was an interesting character. Her bad definitely outweighed her good in some points. When things got bad, she turned to alcohol and drugs, and, unfortunately, encouraged two of the girls to join her, which, sadly, they did without hesitation. She even kept whiskey for herself when it could have saved another girl’s life. After a traumatic event, Layla was forced with the incredible decision of giving up or becoming the leader she should have been all along.

--- Jas - Jas was such a wonderful character. Also one of my favorites. She knew so much and it was her knowledge, education, and survival skills that helped the group stay alive, too. She was always telling people things about animals and plants they found on the island. I admired that greatly.

--- Hope - My favorite character, Hope, was the one I felt the worst for. Her father was unspeakably cruel to her. Hope was easy to love. She had a hard life, though, and it showed in her stutter and lack of courage and confidence in herself. I loved Hope's fight to overcome her stutter, her will to gain the other girls' respect, and her struggle to obtain bravery and confidence. Really someone to look up to.

I could go on all day long about Lost Girls, but I don’t want to give too much away. Lost Girls was an amazing book by a very talented author. I would absolutely love to see it made into a movie - I already know who I would want to play some of the characters. I will definitely be reading more of Ann Kelley’s work, as she sure knows how to pull a reader in!

Lost Girls was a very intense book, and some scenes might upset younger readers, especially when the little girl dies in the very beginning. I was able to relate more to this story because the characters were older and more mature than some of the middle-grade books I’ve recently read. Also, there is a bit of mild language in this book. These features make the book more YA than middle-grade, which is why I recommend it to readers thirteen/fourteen and up. I believe this story would appeal to any reader of or over that age because it contains something for everybody.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds fantastic and the characters all sounds really interesting too. I've been hearing lots of good things about this one so I can't wait to read it soon. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Sam! Can't wait to hear what you think about it! <3 ~ Katertot ~

      Delete
  2. She didn't waste a hot second before killing off one of the main characters! Loved that line. This sounds like a girls version of Lord of the Flies. I loved the way you broke it all down and how you recommended it for the apporpriate age group. You are becoming quite the reviewer. Also love your badge. I am glad you are all getting settled into your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I'm so happy you loved that line, Ms. Heidi! Lost Girls actually mentions Lord of the Flies! I need to read that one! Thank you so much! I had fun making the badge! In a few days, we'll have furniture! Eeeeep! Thank you for your sweet comment. <3 ~Katertot~

      Delete
  3. omg amazing. you had me at THE COVER. sign me up! beautiful review! and fancy fancy Katertot badge! You ladies are super classy and a power duo! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nyssssaaaaaaaa!!!! I think you will love this one!! Aww, thank you! Love you bunches! ~Katertot~

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reviewing this Katertot! I'm so glad you loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for sending it to me! <3 ~Katertot~

      Delete
  5. Eep..this sounds like an intense mystery, love the cover. So glad this one grabbed you, I love when a book does that. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Kimba! It really did grab me! Those are the best kind! ~Katertot~

      Delete
  6. Great job, hon! This book sounds like my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Christy! Hope you get a chance to read it <3 ~Katertot~

      Delete
  7. Wow! This sounds like an awesome book! One that I definitely want to read. I like story that are intense and involve survival. I also like the time period the book is set during. Fabulous review! Very helpful.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Jess! It really is an awesome book! I hope you get a chance to read this one soon! *hugs*

      ~Katertot <3

      Delete
  8. WOW great review and that book sounds intense but I can tell you totally loved it! Beautiful badge :) Pretty soon you will be taking over your mom's blog hehe :-P you keep rocking it. I'll have to add this to my list! Great job girly :) I can't wait to see your review for Evernight if you write one ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for a great review. You write well. I think it would make a good movie, too. If only...

    Best wishes,
    Ann Kelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ms. Kelley! That is such a wonderful compliment coming from you considering how beautiful your writing is! I do hope that, one day, Lost Girls can be made into a movie. Thank you so much for the sweet comment!!

      ~Katertot <3

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.