Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fever by Lauren DeStefano








Title:  Fever (The Chemical Garden #2)
Author:  Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon&Schuster Children's Pub
Publication Date: February 21, 2012

AmazonB&NThe Book Depository

My Rating:
Photobucket



Photobucket


     



Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion,
but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

postdivider2
“But there’s no such thing as free.
There are only different and more horrible ways to be enslaved.”


I was longing for a “don’t-want-to-eat, can’t-sleep, a-natural-disaster-couldn’t-make-me-put-this-book-down” story. Fever by Lauren DeStefano was just that. I read it in one day. Ms. DeStefano’s addictive writing and her fascinating characters do not disappoint.  This was an amazing sequel to Wither, a book I was, at first, reluctant to read, but fell head over heels for.

In Fever, we are introduced to a host of new characters that are a treat to read about!  Lilac, Jared, and the crazy Madame. Then, there’s sweet little Maddie, who everyone underestimates, but is always a step ahead. Oh, and hoarders! Yes, HOARDERS! Our favorite main characters remind us why we fell so hard for them in Wither, and I love that Fever picks up right where Wither left us (in absolute suspense, but I digress). Rhine is her usual fearless self and is more determined than ever to reunite with Rowan in this sequel. Then, of course, there is my beloved Gabriel. I adored getting to know him better. In Wither, I craved for Gabriel and Rhine to have more time together. Fever feeds that craving without completely satisfying it, which is a good thing, because I do love that anticipation and hunger for a happy ending.  Some have asked about the absence of Linden, but his presence is definitely felt, and, when he does appear in Fever, I found it to be well worth the wait. I was not a huge Linden fan in Wither, but he really got my attention in Fever, and, while I’m still focused on Gabriel, I am certainly beginning to understand Linden’s appeal.

“Love unrequited is violent. He loves you so much that he's turned it into hate.”

I could almost hear the clock ticking away the precious minutes that these characters have left, and my desire for Rhine to be reunited with Rowan was at an all-time high.

“And then I wonder, does my brother think of me this way? We entered this world together, one after the other, beats in a pulse. But I will be first to leave it.
That's what I've been promised.

When we were children, did he dare to imagine an empty space beside him where
I then stood giggling, blowing soap bubbles through my fingers?

When I die, will he be sorry that he loved me? Sorry that we were twins?

Maybe he already is.”

The amazing world-building and heart-pounding plot make Fever an outstanding second installment in The Chemical Garden Series. Lauren DeStefano’s thought-provoking and evocative writing pulls the reader in and refuses to let go until the last page, though I dare you not to think about the story for days after.

“Because even if the lie is beautiful, the truth is what you face in the end.”

Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)


The highly anticipated Sever (The Chemical Garden #3)
is due out February 12, 2013.  Please click the book to your left for more details.


9 comments:

  1. Awesome review Cheles, you have me wanting to read this series. The world building sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I still need to read this! I enjoyed Wither more than I thought I would so I'm looking forward to picking this up soon. Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this review! also LOVE the new blog changes! it just keeps getting better and better! can't wait for Sever!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously need to start these books! Great review, hon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I,have been trying to get to these forever it seems, well book three is around the corner, less waiting time right? Love the quotes! So glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant review, sweetie! Even though I was never a huge fan of the Chemical Garden series, I'm still happy that you adored this. :) I hope you like Sever just as much as the first two! The covers for this series are lovely also, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely review, as per usual, Chele! I was a little disappointed with this one up until about the last 1/3, but it redeemed itself. :) I'm off tomorrow so I hope to get my review posted (or at least written!) then while there's no one at home to bug me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome review as always! I really need to read wither! AT least I own it now that is the first step lol. I'm glad it was the book you needed to read :) I totally understand needing a book like that. I bet you can't wait for the next one hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic review, You inspired me to read this! Luv your wonderful blog as ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.