Friday, July 13, 2012

The Secret DMS Files of Fairday Morrow by Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson

I'm turning over my blog to my daughter Mckenzie Kate (aka Katertot) for the day.  She has a review and interview for you lovelies, today.  I'd like to thank Heidi at Rainy Day Ramblings for letting Katertot know about this book and putting these kind authors in touch with us.

A big thank-you to Jess and Stephanie for graciously sending Katertot a copy of their beautiful book, The Secret DMS Files of Fairday Morrow, and agreeing to her request for an interview. 

Here is my kiddo's review and very first interview!  Enjoy:






Title:  The Secret DMS Files of Fairday Morrow
Authors: Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson
Type:  Limited edition, author illustrated copy
Published: 2011

Katertot's Rating:
Photobucket









Fairday Morrow is less than happy about moving to the quiet, country town of Ashpot, not to mention, utterly cheerless at the prospect of living in the crumbling, creepy old manor known as Begonia House. Nevertheless, that's exactly where she's headed.
Strange music coming from behind a padlocked door leads Fairday up a spiral staircase and into a secret room, where and ancient mirror, a brass key, and a strange picture of a red-haired lady are the first in a series of clues that will take Fairday and her friends in the Detective Mystery Squad, more commonly known as the DMS, on an amazing adventure that will challenge them in ways they never thought possible.
PhotobucketAs the investigation gears up, it becomes plainly obvious to Fairday that the danger is deadly serious. With a little help, which is found in some very odd places, the twisting tale begins to unfurl. Will the DMS be able to piece together the puzzle before it's too late?





Katertot's Review:
Photobucket
Fairday Morrow is a twelve-year-old girl who has just moved to Ashpot, Connecticut, leaving her city life of New York, which includes her best friend Lizzy, behind. Having a hard time adapting to her new life, Fairday decides to battle her boredom by searching around her new home. Lizzy and Fairday have a detective group called the DMS - Detective Mystery Squad. Fairday thinks, if she were to find anything interesting, it would be a good excuse to invite Lizzy over for an investigation.


Once Fairday discovers several clues leading to… something, she can’t wait for Lizzy to visit so they can both investigate. After weeks of more boredom, dealing with school (at which she makes a brand new friend and member of the DMS, Marcus Brocket, and also a new adversary, Dif), and working through more investigations on her own, Fairday finally reaches the day of Lizzy’s arrival.




Marcus, Lizzy, and Fairday all set out on an adventure throughout Fairday’s house on the third floor… the floor of all the mysteries. Several things don’t make sense… a silver, engraved hairbrush, an odd photo, moving hair… what do all these things mean?

Ms. Jessica Haight and Ms. Stephanie Robinson answer all these questions and more, adding a unique twist to the story and keeping me guessing until the end. This was a wonderful, easy read, and I recommend it to, not just middle-graders, but to readers of all ages.

Thank you so much, ladies, for sending me your wonderful book for review!

Interview:

MK: What was your inspiration for the “infamous Begonia house”? Have either of you ever lived in a creepy, but interesting, house like that?

Jess: Yes! The story originated in a creepy house when I was just a kid. It all began at my grandparents’ house in Ridgefield, CT. Even my dad will swear that, when we were in the house, you could hear someone walking around upstairs when everyone that was supposed to be there was downstairs. My grandfather used to tell me that it was Ruby Begonia in her high-heeled sneakers. I can remember sneaking around the house, trying to catch a glimpse of her. My own imagination glammed up the shoes and developed the story around her. Initially, I wrote a rhyming children’s poem entitled Ruby Begonia and the High-Heeled Sneakers. That story continued to evolve, and I decided to turn it into a chapter book. I asked my best friend and book buddy, Stephanie, to co-author it with me, and the rest is history!

Stephanie: After Jess asked me to work with her on changing her poem into a story, the ideas began emerging from all over the place. We would meet, talk, brainstorm, and dissect each other’s ideas. Each time one of us shared something, we would spark new ideas in the other person. Some of the elements of Fairday’s story have appeared in my dreams and others that have happened in my everyday life. For a short period of time, I lived in a house that dated back to the 1700s. It was a house filled with mystery, hidden passages, and local lore. It wasn’t creepy, but it did give me a lot to think about and got my mind whirring!
 

MK: What was it like having two authors of a book? Were there ever any fusses over what to write?

Jess: Oddly enough, there wasn’t. Stephanie and I get along great, and we decided when we embarked upon this adventure that it would be about writing the best story that we could, leaving our egos out of it. We both value each other’s opinions, so it’s never been a problem.

Stephanie: Having two authors was an adventure that was exciting at every turn. Jess and I agreed early on that we would always be honest with each other and that we wouldn’t take things personally. We wanted to create the best story we could, and we knew that we would need to put our egos aside. Luckily, we have always had a relationship in which we could tell the other person exactly how we felt. Jess and I spoke daily about Fairday and the DMS. We flushed out characters, storylines, and everything else both in person and on the phone. Our meetings were always productive and helped us to be on the same page. We used Google Docs, which allowed us to write in one document from anywhere. I even worked on the book in Poland and during my travels to Yellowstone National Park. Usually, one of us would start a chapter and the other person would go in and start working their magic- adding, deleting, and crafting the writing until it was a blended expression of both of our ideas. It was a blast writing with Jess, and I am thankful to have her on this incredible journey!
 
MK: I loved Marcus and I was intrigued by Dif. Were either of these characters inspired by real-life people?

Jess: In a way, all of our characters are a mix of different people that we’ve known throughout our lives. Banner, particularly, is a close comparison to one of our high school friends, and Dif, well, he’s sort of a conglomerate of those mean kids that everyone has come across from time to time.

Stephanie:
As a teacher, I see many personalities in the classroom. It has been helpful to add elements to characters like Marcus and Dif from my observations. :) A friend of my husband’s family is called Brocket, and I have always loved the name. Jess and I borrowed it for Marcus because he deserved a cool last name, after all, he is Brocket the Rocket.  
 
MK: I absolutely love how Fairday got her name - Fairday T. Morrow. Was the saying mentioned in the book something someone really said? Or perhaps there is a significance behind one of your names or a friend’s name that inspired it?

Jess: I have no idea where her name came from. I was sitting at my desk, thinking about how to turn my poem into a chapter book, and the name Fairday just popped into my head. I don’t believe it’s an actual saying, though I have spent a lot of time on Cape Cod and around fishermen, so I may have picked something like it up there.

Stephanie: Although Fairday is a made-up name, we are both friends with people with the last name Morrow. I go to Nantucket every year, but haven’t heard the popular phrase on any of my visits. :)
 
MK: One of my favorite characters was Larry Lovell - he was an amazingly wise person and reminded me of my grandfather! Was he inspired by a real life grandfather or father?

Jess: Ah, Larry Lovell! I am so glad you asked this question. I love his character. He reminds me of a non-magical Dumbledore : )

Stephanie: When I picture Larry Lovell in my mind, I have a perfect image of a man that I used to wait on regularly at a retirement community. I mix him with a few other characters I have met in my life, and Larry starts to emerge. I love that he reminds you of your grandfather.
 
MK: This story was intriguing because I wasn’t sure where it was going - that’s always a sign of a good book in my opinion. How did you come up with such a unique storyline?

Jess and Stephanie: We decided book one in the Fairday Morrow series would stay true to Ruby’s story from the poem. Next, we weaved in the DMS and all the other magical attributes. Our in-depth talks involved a lot of brainstorming and one of us saying, “How about...?”. Each time, the story would shift in a new direction. The Secret DMS Files of Fairday Morrow was also read to two 5th grade classes who provided us with feedback through their thoughts, questions, and predictions. Their reactions helped us develop the pacing and build suspense. We are so grateful to those wonderful young readers!

MK: I found myself anticipating Ruby Begonia’s life story. I felt so sorry for her and what had happened to her and her family. I couldn’t help but wonder what could happen next for Fairday and her family (and friends)… Are there any subsequent books in the making?

Jess & Stephanie:
Yes! The Talking Library will be the next in the series, and the DMS is geared up for a real adventure. Fear not the unexpected!
 
MK: I want to give you both a big thank-you for the wonderful characters and storyline of The Secret DMS Files of Fairday Morrow! They had me thinking about the book whenever I wasn’t reading it. It was such a fun book to read - was it as fun to write? Did you have to do any research on any old myths or legends?

Jess & Stephanie: Thank you so much for taking the time to interview us. This series is a blast to write. We can relate so much to Lizzy and Fairday and have all sorts of adventures in mind for the DMS.

For The Secret DMS Files of Fairday Morrow we didn’t need to do much research, as we already had the premise for the storyline and the general idea of where we wanted to go with it. At times, we did research items like the stove and various technology to make sure that they were accurate for the time period. However, book two, The Talking Library, is a whole different mystery, and there will be lots of fun work to do!

Thank you again, ladies, for answering my questions and for my copy of The DMS Files.  This has been so much fun - until next time, everybody! Katertot out <3

31 comments:

  1. Awesome Interview! I am so glad you loved the book, Katertot. I loved you questions especially the one about the house. I always enjoy reading about where writers get their ideas and inspiration. I am excited to read the next book... The Talking Library sounds like a cool read! Steph and Jess are wonderful. I absolutely love their little blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi, Thanks so much for checking our our interview. We truly enjoyed answering Katetot's questions! ~ Jess & Stephanie

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Heidi! Both of us really appreciate you introducing us to these ladies. We are enjoying their lovely blog, too! :D

      Delete
  2. Great review and interview Mckenzie! I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much. It sounds like a really creative story. :) I love hearing from author's who have written a book together. I have always found it pretty fascinating when two people can write something together so seamlessly it reads like it was written by one person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, Thank you! Working together has been great. It's such a fun experience to write a book with someone that you have always loved to chat about books with. Great to hear from you : ) ~ Jess & Stephanie

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sam! It is so fascinating! I think you'd have to have just the right writing partner to be able to do that with. :D

      Delete
  3. Hi Michele and Katertot, Thank you so much for hosting us on your blog! We are thrilled that you enjoyed reading about Fairday and her adventures with the DMS. Your questions were insightful and we had fun answering them. Happy reading! And remember, fear not the unexpected! ~ Jess & Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! Thank you again for allowing Katertot to interview you and for sending her your lovely book! She can hardly wait for The Talking Library! :D

      Delete
  4. I love love LOVE that Jessica and Stephanie co-wrote this book together! I tried to do that with my one friend last year, but our minds work in completely different ways so we only got as far as brainstorming before we decided that team writing is not for us LOL :') This book sounds so fantastic and I can't believe I haven't heard of this before! Plus, I adore that simply cute cover! :)

    Amazing review and interview, Katertot! Have a wonderful weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much for stopping by, Mimi! Both of us really appreciate it! Right? I argue enough with myself when I'm writing - I can't imagine having another writer involved. Jess and Stephanie do it flawlessly! Have a fabulous weekend and Happy Reading, love! <3

      Delete
  5. Hi Mimi, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. Co-authoring a book with someone can be an awesome journey, but, as with any adventure, you definitely want to have the right person along for the ride. Great to hear from you : ) ~ Jess & Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw sweetie! I see that the talent apple did not fall very far from the awesome tree. In fact, I think it's still hanging on to those branches. You are so sweet and talented, just like your momma-tot! I just love how you conducted the interview, so professional and full of fun. It absolutely made me want to add this book to my TBR list. You are all kinds of rocking dancing socks, love! Well done! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet love, you just made Katertot's and Momma-tot's DAY!! She had so much fun reading this book and coming up with the interview questions. Hope you wil have a chance to read The DMS Files soon.
      We can hardly wait to read Touching Smoke and maybe we can interview YOU! <3 you!!

      Delete
    2. I would be honored to be interviewed by two such lovely and amazing ladies! I look forward to it! :D

      Delete
    3. Katertot sure does know how to ask unique and amazing questions!
      Stephanie

      Delete
  7. FANTASTIC interview, Love!! You really know how to ask questions that really get the unique and revealing answers!! I think my favorite was the one about Dumbledore! Putting this one on the TBR! Again, amazing job sweet girl. Love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, baby cakes! Maybe we have a future journalist on our hands? Love you!

      Delete
    2. Nyssa- Katertot sure does know how to ask questions that really make you think. I love that! ~Stephanie

      Delete
  8. Brilliant post! Katertot, I love your review and the questions you compiled for the interview. :) I think it's wonderful when two authors collaborate and write a novel together, although I don't think I can do that because my thoughts often clash with others, ha. This sounds so unique and interesting! I must read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Leanne! Same here! I can't imagine such a collaboration. Hats off to all authors who pull this off! :D

      Delete
    2. Leanna- I agree- Katertot did a fabulous job on this post! Writing a book with someone else can definitely be challenging. Finding the right person to write with is very important. I couldn't have written with anyone else! Hope you enjoy Fairday's story. :) ~ Stephanie

      Delete
  9. Great review, and you rocked that interview! This sounds like such a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christy! She had a blast reading it and coming up with interview questions. I just adore the authors' answers!

      Delete
    2. Christy- Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Katertot is awesome! ~Stephanie

      Delete
  10. What a great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. And wow, interviewing too?! I'm still too scared to do many interviews.
    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with interviews myself! Thanks for stopping by, Andrea! :D

      Delete
    2. Andrea- So nice to hear your thoughts. Katertot worked really hard and it shows. Jessica and I were so impressed with her questions. Wow! :) ~Stephanie

      Delete
  11. I love that the reviewing community is gaining such talent in Katertot! We are in desperate need of new blood and fresh perspective, and I think this interview proves that we're getting both. The interview questions are so well thought-out and they made me want to know even more about Stephanie and Jess's book.
    And btw, I think the name Fairday is SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maja- You are right! Katertot is such a wonderful addition to the blogging and reviewing community. We are so happy that the interview and review made you want to know more about Fairday's story (and we love that you love her name). :) Thanks for letting us know your thoughts. ~Jess and Stephanie

      Delete
  12. WOW Katertot great review and interview! You are going to give us all a run for our money. You are already amazing it will be awesome to see how awesome you are when you are older! Keep it up girly. This book sounds good ;) I'm also very impressed with your interview questions! They are great, I don't come up with good questions like that! I may need to pick your brain next interview! Great job! Keep it up! I can't wait to read what you review next :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie- Katertot is so impressive! Her questions were so unique and interesting. We had to stop and think to answer them because they were do detailed and tailored to our book. We loved them! We are looking forward to her next review/interview, too! ~Jess and Stephanie

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.