Monday, July 9, 2012

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu



Title: Glitch (Glitch #1)
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Expected Publication: August 7, 2012

Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository

My Rating:
ratingmagnolia-3-1-1.1






In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.


When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.


As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse
.
 My Review:
  Photobucket

With such an enticing synopsis, I really expected to love Glitch. Unfortunately, there were a few elements that kept me from fully appreciating this book. I enjoyed the Matched-esque qualities that result in rooting for the characters to break the rules, while, at the same time, making the reader nearly sick with trepidation that they will indeed break them and get caught doing so.

The fear of being “deactivated” for having any human emotion is such a sad, yet intriguing, concept. Feelings are considered “barbaric” and “old world.” They’ve been stripped of everything - even color. I can’t imagine living in a world like that. 


“Beauty, happiness, they’re things so big they can’t capture them with their scientific words. It’s like what they used to call magic.”
*****
“Love shouldn’t exist, but it does. It’s the biggest anomaly, some might say the biggest defect, of the whole human race. But it’s the most beautiful anomaly.  I understand that now.

(Quotes are from the ARC of Glitch and are subject to change.)

 
I loved the technology the author wrote about: Communication panels embedded in forearms and forceps inserted deep into noses for hardware maintenance probes? Yes, please. I probably shouldn’t admit that these are a few of my favorite things.

Glitch was going well, but then, insta-love reared its ugly, unwelcome head. I’m all for falling in love, being the romantic that I am, but this was just too much too soon... even for me. This is fiction, so, of course, every detail doesn’t have to be 100% realistic, but I need to not be put off by it, either. There is an explanation for one character’s sudden and strong feelings, but I wasn’t convinced and wish it had been a slow-building mutual attraction instead.

Another problem I had with the story was the characters’ choice of expletives. Shuntin’ and crackin’ are used predominantly throughout the book, and, while I have no issues with the occasional curse, some variety in these exclamations would have been welcome.

After putting the book down for a few days, I picked it back up and the story pulled me in more than it had before. I was able to let the weird love triangle and insta-love slide for the moment, and I began to enjoy where the author was taking the story. After the ending, I would like to know what happens next for these kids, enough so that I want to give this author and the next book a chance.

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.    
 


 

 

8 comments:

  1. Hi girlie! Yes I am back! Missed you! I have this for review and after reading several not so glowing reciews I am not super excited but I will read it and see how I feel about my nemesis, the love triangle. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was the vacay, Ms. Heidi?? We missed you, too! I'm glad you're going to give it a try. I'm curious to know your thoughts! ;D

      Delete
  2. Well I'm glad you are still curious enough to want to give the next book a go. I've heard a lot of mixed thoughts about this book... I'm not entirely sure if it would be for me now. The insta-love thing and love triangle really puts me off, but I'm hoping I have a better experience with this book. :) Great review, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! I didn't dislike it as much as some readers, but the love triangle/insta-love was really prominent. Ick. I'd love to hear your thoughts! ;D

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I think this book sounds really good, and then other times I think it sounds ... eh. I'll have to really have to be in the mood to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are times it is good... and times it is eh. I agree with being in the mood - maybe that's why it got better after I put the book aside for a few days.

      Delete
  4. It's disappointing to hear this is another book that falls into the insta love trap. :( The sci-fi elements are still appealing enough that I want to check it out but I'll be sure to keep my expectations in check

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. eh for the book not being very good :( That is never fun boo. I agree that insta-love can be bad. I am a total hopeless romantic, but if it is way too far fetched then that isn't good. If you decide to give the next book a chance then you will have to tell me if it gets better! I like the quotes you chose! You always pick awesome ones :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.