Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ascend (Trylle Trilogy #3) by Amanda Hocking



Title: Ascend (Trylle Trilogy#3)
Author: Amanda Hocking
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication: April 24, 2012

Amazon | Barnes&Noble | The Book Depository |
                       Goodreads

My Rating:
Photobucket




From Goodreads: 

The final book in the Trylle Trilogy..


With a war looming on the horizon, Wendy's fate seems sealed.But everything she sacrificed might be in vain if she can't save the ones she loves. Her whole life has been leading up to this, and it's all coming to an end.

                  This is a young adult paranormal romance with some
                          mild language and mild sexual situations.

My Review:
Photobucket

This is a difficult review to write. Not because I’m at a loss for words - because I have too many! I’m about to burst at the seams needing to vent to someone about everything that went down in the final installment of The Trylle Trilogy. What are you trying to do to me, Amanda Hocking? How am I going to express any of my opinions here without giving anything away from the book? I suppose I will stick to safe topics, and this review may go down as one of the shortest in my little blogging history.


Normally, I like to gush about the yummy male characters, but I think I did enough of that in my last two reviews. I’m actually excited to talk about Wendy this time. I’ve had definite issues with her in the last two books, but talk about character development! Wendy really grew into a likeable heroine who worked hard to earn the respect of not only her peers, but the respect of the readers. She showed strength and compassion in Ascend, and, while I didn’t agree with everything she did or certain choices she made, I am very pleased with how Wendy matured and the young woman she grew into. She’s no Remy, but she definitely wins most improved.

Another shocker was that I, albeit begrudgingly, changed my opinion about Elora. Oh, I fought it, believe me... but, when all was revealed, I certainly saw things from a different point of view.

I will miss these characters, and, even though it ended a lot differently than I would have thought, I enjoyed everyone’s happily-ever-after. The glimpse into their future lives was very satisfying and gave some closure no matter what “team” you were on. I will hold out hope that Finn will get his own book one day - he is not a character that I am ready to say goodbye to.

“‘It’s what’s best for you.’ He paused. ‘But I want you for myself, too.’”
*********************

“‘Tomorrow, you will belong to someone else. But tonight, you’re with me.’”
*********************

“‘Can’t we just sit here and look longingly into each other’s eyes until we fall into each
other’s arms, kissing passionately?’”
*************************

“‘Everything I went through,’ he said. ‘For you. It was worth it.’”
***************************

“‘I don't want only one night. I want all the nights. I want all of you, forever.’”


Note:  This is a young adult paranormal romance with some mild language and mild sexual situations.

9 comments:

  1. First Mimi, and now you, too? Have you conspired against me? I was all determined not to read this trilogy, and now I have no choice, after the wonderful reviews.
    I love that there's actual, believable character growth, especially in Wendy. It's so good when the heroines really make progress instead of just standing in one place and whining.
    Amazing review! I am convinced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I would never conspire against you, darling! I'm so excited you're going to give it a chance, though! Thank you so much, Maja! :D

      Delete
  2. I think the character growth was one of the best things about this series. I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first two...but I think that might be due to my feeling for Finn. I'm definitely not a Loki fan! ;) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! The second book was actually my favorite. You and I can be Finn girls together ;)

      Delete
  3. it definitely has been an Amanda Hocking week. This was a short review for you and now I am dying to know what has you so tight lipped? Hmm spill it. Sounds like Wendy was like Meghan Chase. I struggled with her especially in book two and then she gorws and gets strong, I like that. This is a series I so want to check out. I even own a beautiful copy of book one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the books gorgeous? I love these covers! You know what, that's actually a very good comparison! The characters did have some similarities. Hope you'll enjoy the series once you get a chance to read it. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh you and Sam can have your Finn - Loki is ALL MINE, baby. lmao. I love the growth from the 1st book. But I agree, she's no Remy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahahaha! You can tell from my quotes I added that I did love the things Loki had to say. I'm just a Finn girl, though. I wish you and Loki many years of happiness! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  5. Loved the character analysis and the depth of emotion you captured in simply talking about how the book made you feel--it translated into a tight feeling in my chest right along with you, and I haven't read any of these!! (Have I mentioned you're an AMAZING writer?? because, yeah. You totally are. :D)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.