Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown



Title: Lies Beneath
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Expected Publication: June 12, 2012

Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository | Goodreads

  My Rating:
Photobucket




From Goodreads:  

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistible good looks and charm on unsuspecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

Guys, I’ve been trying to hold onto this review until closer to the publication date, but I can no longer contain my excitement over this story and its amazing author. Please forgive the prematurity...I am weak:

  My Review:
  Photobucket

“Mother, may I go out to swim?
Yes, my darling daughter.
Fold your clothes up neat and trim,
But don’t go near the water.” - Anonymous



Lately, I’ve found myself holding back from reading the synopsis of a book.   I don’t want any spoilers, so all I knew about Lies Beneath was that it involved merpeople, which I gathered from that gorgeous cover. I admit that my experience with mermaids didn’t reach beyond Ariel and Prince Eric, so I thought Lies Beneath would be a light, funny, albeit, slightly more mature, version of the above mentioned movie. That sound you hear is my silly misconceptions coming to a screeching halt. Mermaids are hawt... and... naughty! I was spellbound from the first page! These are not your Disney mermaids, and the ancient fairytales and legends had it ALL wrong:

“Forget everything you think you know about merpeople. Forget that freaking Ariel,  think Silence of the Lambs, think Friday the Thirteenth.  Haven’t you heard anything I said to you today? 
They. Will. Kill. You.”

Is that a convincing quote, or what? How about the very first line of the story?:

“I haven’t killed anyone all winter, and I have to say I felt pretty good about that.”

I adore a male POV, and the author handled this one flawlessly. I wish there were more books from the male’s perspective, but I believe Calder as the male lead is one of my favorites. I love that I just couldn’t quite decide if he was a good guy or a not-so-good guy. I found myself cheering for him... even at times when, perhaps, I shouldn’t have. The character development throughout the story was incredible. Sure, he’s gorgeous, and it’s not like he can help being arrogant (it’s practically part of his DNA), but he also has depth and a purpose. Two purposes to be exact. One is revenge, and the other... freedom. Unfortunately for Calder, they come in that order.

Calder never could have imagined himself falling for a human. Especially not a human who was the descendant of the man responsible for his mother’s death. An old grudge that is finally going to be settled. All he has to do is get close to Lily, lure her in so he and his sisters can use her as bait, and finally get vengeance on her father and closure for their mother’s death. Easy. Or, at least, it would have been until Calder did the unthinkable: He fell for her.

Lily is a great heroine. She’s smart, non-whiny, and completely unaware of her looks. She doesn’t fawn over every guy she meets, and in no way, is she the type to have ‘insta-love’ with any boy, despite his mysterious good looks. She has just the right amount of toughness, sarcasm, and wit - enough to entertain the reader and, most importantly... Calder. Definitely an admirable female lead.

Calder’s sisters were so much fun to read about! While they were beyond scary to me, I found myself being mesmerized by them much in the same way their unwilling victims probably were.

Anne Greenwood Brown’s markedly descriptive imagery of Lake Superior, and especially the underwater details, are breathtaking! Her beautiful writing and vivid descriptions of Lake Superior's surrounding areas make me want to visit the town of Bayfield. Although, if I ever do, you can rest assured I won’t put so much as a pinkie toe in the water. I was so consumed by this story, that in a particular scene describing an underwater swim, I realized I was actually holding my breath!

I loved this book and all of its characters!  I’m extremely excited for Deep Betrayal (book 2), out 2013, so I will be able to immerse myself (no pun intended) in more of this story. I highly recommend this book and this fabulous author!

An ARC of this book was provided by Netgalley for review.

13 comments:

  1. WOW This sounds fantastic *runs to net galley and requests* No really I did. lol wow it doesn't come out until June haha I guess you are weak :-P Love you! WHat a great review. I totally agree about the cover! So gorgeous eeep! Thanks for the awesome review and rave so I have another book to add to my list hehe. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, love! I AM weak!! Especially when I love a story this much! Can't wait for you to read it, so we can eeeep and squeee over it together! xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. I love this review!! You hit the nail on the head with it too. I loved this book like you did and I thought Calder was a fabulous lead for the story. It was refreshing and I am SO glad that you enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Cambria!! I'm so happy you loved it, too! Wasn't Calder wonderful and so much fun to read about? I can't wait to read it again!

      Delete
  3. Well then, I guess that says quite a lot when you can't hold back the review anymore :) I didn't think I'd care for this one, but now I'm thinking I might! I wouldn't have guess this was told from a male POV though, which is perfectly fine with me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christy! I was so excited when I realized the story was told from Calder's POV. He's pretty delicious! ;D

      Delete
  4. Ooohhhhh...This is in my IMM this week! I was a bit hesitant about reading it because I was not that fond of another mermaid tale (he-he, get it? mermaid "tale"..lolz) I read recently & you made this sound pretty cool. I am a bit jazzed to read it now! New follower.
    Books&Beyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! This was my first mermaid book, and I loved it! Hope you will, too! Thanks so much for stopping by and for the follow.

      Delete
  5. Hello my lovely, Ohh boy love your new count downs for Hunger Games and Insurgent! Hope you are feeling a bit better. I have this one and I am looking forward to reading it after your review. I have yet to find a mermaid book that I like, so I am hoping this will be it for me and sounds wicked and dark and good! Yeah!
    BTW I am never a robot... so why do I have to prove it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that mermaid stories are so in right now. Can't wait to read this one and Of Poseidon. I'll probably try to read OP next week when I'm on vacation so I can send it to you for the DAC. :) Great review, as always. Can't wait to read it so we can compare notes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. immerse myself/lol/rad review
    reading lies beneath soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe... couldn't resist. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I have this one from NetGalley, I'll be reading it soon. I love mermaids. I have always wanted to be one, but for some reason, I just haven't picked up any mermaid books.

    I adore when authors put different spins on creatures we have known and loved all our lives. I am really looking forward to this one. Even more now since reading your review.

    BTW, Ariel is the shit, but I guess she would be kinda a puss next to these mermaids. Still, she's the shit. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.