Saturday, January 28, 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

From Goodreads:  Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

In her enthralling debut, Veronica Rossi sends readers on an unforgettable adventure set in a world brimming with harshness and beauty.




I began reading the story, not quite grasping everything that was happening, or being sure I was liking it... but that changed in a matter of a few pages. Someone loses his marbles (I love me some crazy), and then the incredibly delectable Perry shows up.  I.Was.Hooked.  Hooked as in you would have had to pry this book from my cold, dead hands before I stopped reading it... which means I stayed up until 5 AM devouring it. I believe the “not quite grasping everything that was happening” in the beginning was due to the story being so wonderfully unique. I love dystopians - they are my genre of choice - but this one had an amazing twist to it.

“‘Do the clouds ever clear?’ she asked.
‘Completely? No. Never.’
‘What about the Aether? Does that ever go away?’
‘Never, Mole. The Aether never leaves.’
She looked up. ‘A world of nevers under a never sky.’”

The characters are so fascinating, and the story is exceptionally thought-provoking! I enjoyed the familial aspect in the story and the friendships, but I have to mention the romance as well: major swoon. It was unexpected and written so beautifully! It wasn’t an instantaneous passion, either:

“She found it curious and frightening that she could deeply dislike someone she didn’t even know. It wasn’t her. At least, it wasn’t how she used to be.”
*****************************************************
“She looked up. ‘A world of nevers under a never sky.’
She fit in well then, he thought. A girl who never shut up.”

 

More like a slow recognition of mutual appeal:

“She absorbed the terror and beauty of him and his world. Of every moment over the past days. All of it, filling her up like the first breath she'd ever taken. And never had she loved life more.”
*****************************************************
“She’d fallen into a deep silence once, when the sun appeared, and it was then he’d wondered most what she was thinking.”
 

Veronica Rossi’s writing is fabulous. Color me a fan-girl, ‘cause this lady can tell a tale! I want more of this story, more of these characters, and more books by Ms. Rossi.

13 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! I love your review! I adored this book as well. I'm completely in the Veronica Rossi boat from now on, and I will captain it to the ends of the earth. I'm so glad you loved it too! :)

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book, too! Brilliant review! I'm happy you were able to enjoy this even if you weren't too sure at first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some crazy, too! >_< Thank you for your fabulous review. I have to read Under the Never Sky as soon as possible.
    Go dystopians! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rachel: Thank you! Wasn't it amazing?? Can I be your first mate in the Veronica Rossi boat?? ;D

    @Sam: I'm so happy you loved this one! Thank you! I think it's the books I'm not sure of at first that end up being the best reads! ;D

    @Giada: Hahaha!! I love a fellow 'crazy' lover! Thanks so much and keep me posted - I can't wait to hear what you think about this one! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to read this one since Sam reviewed it. I have read so many dazzling reviews but none as cute as yours. Girlfriend no wonder your eyes are hurting staying up until 5 am to read it! I wish I could do that but the nezt morning when my toddlers got up at 7:30 I would be hating the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Heidi: Awwww, thank you!! That seriously made my day! Hehehe - yeah, I paid dearly for that all night read-a-thon. It was worth it, though, and I didn't have babies waking up at 7:30 am - more like one tween who I had to drag out of bed at noon! Can't wait for you to read it and share your thoughts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I wasn't feeling the beginning of this book, but fell absolutely in love with it about 1/2 way through. I want the next book NOW. :)

    Hey where did you get the little goal bar under the DAC on the side? ------>

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome review! I was SOO excited to win this in a giveaway (I never win giveaways, so yes, it was a big deal lol) I think I'm going to go check out Jen's review too (:

    Ana
    http://book-spark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Christy D: Thank you! Wasn't it fabulous?! Oh, my friend and buddy reader Jen hooked me up with the little goal bar. I will send you a link. You have to manually change it, but I think it's pretty cool! ;D

    @Ana: Thank you, love, and congratulations on winning it! Definitely check out Jen's review - it is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Veronica Rossi¿s Under the Never Sky had me reading until the wee hours of the morning and simply blew me away. This is a brilliant debut!The futuristic, dystopian world in this book is quite unlike anything I¿ve ever read, although it reminds me of Aldous Huxley¿s Brave New World (which is a big compliment by the way!). The story is modern, yet feels timeless, edgy and startling at times, yet captivatingly beautiful and thoughtful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome review, Chels, but you already knew that. :) Every time I think about this book, I want to go back and read it again, especially knowing we'll have to wait a year for the sequel...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ελλάδα: Thanks for stopping by! It's a fabulous book!

    @Jen: Aw, thanks girl! This will definitely be one of our re-reads - we can't go a year without Perry. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I want to read this one really bad! It sounds great and with your review that makes me want to read it 100 times more since we like the same stuff hehe. Plus you make it sound even more awesome. YAy for swoon worthy books I like those hehe. I can't wait to read it and gush with you about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.