Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tell Me Something Tuesday #3


Welcome to another edition of Tell Me Something Tuesday, hosted by the lovely Cambria Hebert. Every week, Cambria will ask a new question, and participants will post their answers and leave their link on her site. Then, bloggers can compare their answers while visiting all the lovely blogs. Leave me a comment - I can’t wait to stop by your blog and find out your answer!

This week’s question:

What is the saddest book you have ever read?

In pondering this question, I have come to the realization that I am a Great.Big.Weenie.Baby. Seriously. The list of books that have made me cry is too incredibly long to share. So, I have decided to categorize my books from one-eyed-leakage and gentle sobbing to full-on-weeping-in-a-corner-curled-into-a-fetal-position. That did make it a bit easier.  Basic crying would include, but is not limited to: Divergent, Hallowed, Shiver, one or two of the Twilight books (don’t judge), and The Hunger Games (which really falls into an in-between category of gentle sobbing and corner weeping). That brings us to the hang-my-head-in-shame-bawled-my-eyes-out portion of the list. There are three:




#3: Delirium: There was actual rocking, sobbing, and hugging of this book. When I reached the end, I was so glad I was alone. I can only imagine how I must have looked with this book clutched to my chest, squalling like a banshee.



#2: Dear John:  I saw the preview for the movie and decided I needed to read the book first. Channing Tatum is ever-so-hawt, and it was very hard to not start with the movie, but I’m so glad I read the book first. As is normally the case, the book was much better, though, that is nothing against Channing - he was perfection. I know this is supposed to be a love story, but for me the best part of the story was the father-son relationship. Cue the tears. I loved this book, and I definitely shamed myself in front of my family with my full-on weeping.




And the #1 sob-inducing, nose-running, chin-quivering, un-prettiest crying, saddest book award goes to:



#1. Water for Elephants:  This is the book that my husband actually looked at me and said, “Good God, woman! JUST STOP READING IT!” Not one of my finer moments, but a beautiful book, that I deem quite worthy of my tears. Oh, and this was actually a great book to film adaptation. I love elephants - I actually collect them. Noooo, not actual elephants (although, how cool would that be?). I collect elephant bookends and other decorative items for my home. Big fan of the elephants, so this was a hard book to read. I cannot tolerate ANY animal being mistreated - it ruins the story for me...but due to certain events, this was still a great book, and I’m very glad I stuck with it. In all honesty, if I ever revisit this book, I will have to skip certain pages. I made it through parts of the movie by closing my eyes and sticking my fingers in my ears. I did take IMMENSE JOY in seeing Edward Cullen play a character named Jacob. Bwahahahaha!

So, what books made YOU cry? Any embarrassing reading moments that you want to share? (Come on, don’t leave me here all red-faced and ashamed by myself!)


Leave me a comment and stop by
Cambria Hebert's blog to join in the fun!

20 comments:

  1. Two books come to mind: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Hallowed. I was a flubbering, stuttering mess for both of them, and the husband was seriously concerned that something was wrong. But I enjoyed them both more because they could provoke that kind of emotional response from me. I've only read Delirium from your list, but Water for Elephants is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (I know, I know), but the movie made me cry....so, I can only imagine!

      Delete
  2. I's so going to stay away from those until I'm in the mood for crying! ;)

    But I must admit I'm not the one who cries easily while reading, and Delirium did nothing to me. @.@

    And... my vote goes to The Faul in Our Stars by Jogn Green. I've read it only recently and I cried for like 3/4 of the book.Such a rollercoaster of emotions. :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm.... I'll have to check that one out! I love a good 'crying book'!;D

      Delete
  3. HA! I knew there was a reason I refused to read or watch Dear John! I knew it! People would say Oh its not that sad. YEAH RIGHT. I LOVEEEEE Channing Tatum and anything sad to do with him is just sinful. Thank YOU for finally telling me the truth! LOL

    So I am curious, which Twilight books did you cry while reading....? LOL. Its because she picked Edward isn't it? Poor Poor Jacob....

    I actaully haven't read any of your "sobbing" books and now I will not be planing to read them anytime soon because I am a Great Big Teenie Weenie too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh girl, puh-leaseee read Dear John, so we can discuss it. It is sooo good and you can picture Channing the whole time you read it. YUM. LOL.

      I'm sorry, I cannot divulge that information publicly. I will send it to you in an email - hehehe. You'll be surprised at what made me cry - it's not what you think. ;D

      Delete
  4. Great picks! I have to say that I haven't read any of these, though I saw the Dear John movie (I'm not a Nicolas Sparks fan). I'm working on getting to Water For Elephants.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexandra! Have those tissues nearby when you get to Water for Elephants. ;D

      Delete
  5. I haven't read the book for Dear John, but the movie was great! And I totally agree with Delirium - that was such an emotional read for me, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Sam! I was beginning to think I was the only person who cried over Delirium! Whew! ;D

      Delete
  6. I also LOVED Water for Elephants. The saddest book of my life?...reading Where the Red Fern Grows. I removed my glasses to wipe my eyes, then proceeded to sit on them; then I really had a reason to cry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Becca!! Poor thing! I agree wholeheartedly with Where the Red Fern Grows - heart-breaking!

      Delete
  7. hiii,, I haven't read the other books (but after this post I'll sure will, I love a good crier LoL) but I agree with you on the Dear Jhon book. I started to cry in the first page. First page!!!! NS has a gift. I imagine how a speach from him would go and I can picture a flood of tears. yep,, this guy can sure make someone drawn in tears with his books and I love it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I usually end up calling him a bad name after I read one of his books. He ALWAYS makes me cry!! Dear John made me cry the most, though - I loveeeee that book! Thanks for stopping by ;D

      Delete
  8. Oh Water for Elephants did it for me too. I sobbed during Hunger Games during the part when.. you-know-who died. I still get choked up just watching the HG trailer. The Time Traveler's Wife was a definite killer for me.

    Btw, I don't know if you saw my reply on my blog, but thank you for the meter link. And the kind words. I grabbed your button too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me toooo!!! I can barely get through the trailer - how in the world am I going to get through the movie? Public humiliation... here I come. LOL. The Time Traveler's Wife got me, too - soooo sad!

      Aw, yay! Thank you, Christy!!

      Delete
  9. awww great post! I read Dear John before the movie also.. yup totally sad :( and um The book and movie totally ended differently lol but I still liked the movie and yes Channing yum :-P Oh the Hunger Games.. Rue :'( I have balled my eyes out on countless reading occasions no worries love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was not happy with that ending. The hubs bought me the DVD, and it has the alternate ending that matched the book. Love it!

      Oh girl, HG is going to tear us up!

      Delete
  10. I usually never cry, but I did when I read the last book in the Harry Potter series and The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley (this is one of my favorite book of my favorite author!). >_<
    Delirium sounds like a fantastic read! I hope I can get it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post! THE HUNGER GAMES and WATER FOR ELEPHANTS are two of my favourite novels; such gr8, memorable stories! I also like your other recommendations and am going to check them out! Please read THE NIGHT CIRCUS when you get a chance & I am now reading THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS, fantastic. For YA I loved FALLEN by Lauren Kate & I'd also have to add EVERMORE by Alyson Noel, LITTLE WOMEN by Louisa May Alcott & TIGER EYES by Judy Blume as YAs I'd recommend! Happy Dayz:) Summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.