Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Crave by Melissa Darnell

When Savannah Colbert was in the fourth grade, her best friends and the boy she loved suddenly began avoiding her like the plague. Now, in high school, Savannah is still being shunned and bullied by the kids of the Clann. Savannah has heard the rumors that the members of the powerful Clann know how to use magic, but that doesn’t explain why they treat her like a freak. She’s just a regular girl…isn’t she?

Well, she thought she was, until a sudden illness brought on some pretty drastic, and definitely noticeable, changes. Now guys that never gave her a second look can’t seem to look away. Savannah discovers some pretty potent secrets about herself and her family. Secrets that were kept from her in order for her to have a normal life. Well, life is anything but normal now.

Tristan Coleman is the “Prince of Jacksonville High School”, and Savannah has been fighting her feelings for him ever since the day of their fake wedding in fourth grade. She is hyper aware of Tristan’s presence and has to struggle to keep her mind off of him. Unbeknownst to her, Tristan fights that same battle. Banned from having anything to do with Savannah and never understanding the reason why, Tristan has to work hard to control his abilities and follow the rules of his parents and The Clann. Not to mention, trying desperately, but to no avail, NOT to fall in love with Savannah.

Wow! I love the world Melissa Darnell has created in Crave. I am thrilled that she made the female antagonist the vampire and her paramour the witch. That alone was a breath of fresh air! I LOVE how the author switches from Savannah’s point of view to Tristan’s throughout the story. I enjoyed hearing his thoughts and knowing how he felt about Savannah, before Savannah did.

Savannah is an easy heroine to love. To watch her go from being bullied to learning how to take care of herself is inspiring. Not only does she have to deal with family problems (understatement), and high school bullies, but she has to figure out how to handle her physical changes as well as coping with the new knowledge of what she is becoming or may become.

Tristan is going to be one of those fictional characters we all fall for. Handsome, strong, southern boy, willing and ready to fight for the girl he loves.

Crave will have your heart racing, and at times breaking. The romance between the two main characters is palpable and endearing:

“I understood then why humans have noses. So we can find each other to kiss in the dark.”I look forward to reading more of Melissa Darnell’s outstanding writing, and I can hardly wait for Covet, the second installment of The Clann series.

I received a copy of this book for review from Netgalley.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this one right now and it's pretty good. I'm glad it's not the same old vampire/witch story. :) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love getting comments! I don't participate in blog tags, and this is an award-free blog; but I do love making new blogger friends. So, if you're a new follower, please leave me a link to your blog - I'd love to follow back.